16 January 2012

Simple Crochet Bunting Tutorial


Since showing you my crochet bunting, I've had a couple of requests for the pattern.  It really is the perfect project for someone who has not long dipped their toes in the crochet pond so, here goes, my very first tutorial ...

Simple Crochet Bunting

The only stitches you need to know are:-

ch - chain
dc - double crochet (single crochet in US)

I'm using a 4mm hook and double knit weight yarn.

***

Row 1.  First, chain 2.


Row 2.  Work two dc into the second chain from the hook (ie. the first chain you made).


Row 3.  Turn your work.  Ch 1.  Dc twice into each of the two stitches.


You should now have four dc stitches in your row.


Row 4.  Turn your work.  Ch 1.  Dc twice in the first stitch then dc once in each of the remaining 3 stitches.  (5 stitches in row.)


Row 5.  Turn your work.  Ch 1.  Dc twice in the first stitch then dc once in each of the remaining 4 stitches.  (6 stitches in row.)

Row 6.  Turn your work.  Ch 1.  Dc twice in the first stitch then dc once in each of the remaining 5 stitches.  (7 stitches in row.)

And so on!  Continue working two dcs in the first stitch of each row and one in each of the rest.
Turn.  Ch 1.

Keep going until you are happy with the size of your triangle.


My last row had 24 stitches in it (23 rows) which has given me approximately 4.5" long triangles.


Fasten off and sew in the end of the yarn.

You can do the same with the original end of the yarn (at the bottom) or, do what I did, and thread it through a glass bead before knotting and cutting.


I recommend blocking your triangles before you join them together.

To join your bunting triangles together, select your choice of yarn.  I chose cream.  Chain 30 (or more if you want a longer tie) and then, right side of your triangle facing you, carefully double crochet along the top.


Carry on chaining (I chained 6 in between each triangle) and dc-ing along the tops of all your triangles and then chain an additional 30 for the other end of the tie.  Turn your work, chain 1 and then dc your way all the way back along both the chains (bit tricky so do take your time) and dcs.


Fasten off and sew in your ends.

That's it!

Well done!

You can now string up your rainbow of loveliness and sit back and admire or embellish it further with little flowers or even lettering.




I got so much help from other people's tutorials (especially those with lots of pictures) when I was teaching myself to crochet and still do.  I just hope this goes some way to help you too.

If you notice any glaring errors or omissions, or have any questions, do get in touch.  Please!

Despite it being quite hard work, I have the tutorial bug now (it's the bossy boots in me!) so, hopefully, this will be the first of a few.

For now, happy hooking my friends.

Hxxx

PS.  I used Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk dk yarn.


PPS.  If your bunting is reluctant to lie flat, try blocking it face down and/or a liberal waft of spray starch or strong hairspray.

32 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial ~ very clear and easy to follow. I love the colours of the yarn you are using too ~ do you think that you could possibly let me know what it is? Thank you ~ Jackie :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need a pre-tutorial on how to crochet! Bunting looks lovely just wish I knew how.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent easy to follow tutorial, I will attempt some of these this year they are adorable!
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab tute, might have a go at this even though I am a bit scared of crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colour yarns and a fab tutorial! I'll look forward to the others. This may be enough to tempt me out of my crochet doldrums and away from the knitting!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, thank you so much for this. I am a total crochet novice but will give it a try really soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only dabbled in crochet today but I am definitely going to try this at some point! ( when I can actually do the double stitch!.....)

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done on your first tutorial, and thanks for your kind words on my last post, not sure whats up with me lately. Love your bunting though and even though im not saying much on my own blog lately, its lovely seeing everyone elses x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think I might give this a go - thanks!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! Just might go on the ever lengthening "to do" list! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, I love the crochet bunting! I can do this (I only know two stitches!) sc and dc. oh, and chain stitch!
    Thanks,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely perfect! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such clear instructions for newbie crochet fans such as myself!

    I wish you a beautiful Sunday filled with colour.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog today and I love all the lovely crochet things you´ve made! I added you to my bloglist, hope that is ok!
    Please stop by "at my place" when you have the time!
    Have a nice week!
    Ann-Charlotte in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you ever so much for your tutorial.I always try crochet,get frustrated and give up but your instructions are very clear and the pictures are excellent so will definitely give it a go again.Many thanks,Cassandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so charming, i love these colours :) your tutorial looks great, it almost makes me tempted to try but i'm sure i'd still tie myself up in knots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bunting looks fabulous. How do you make the flower?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for this tutorial. I was a beginner crocheter and succeeded with the bunting. I hope you don'tmind but I've posted a photo of it on my blog :)
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the fantastic tutorial! I only started teaching myself to crochet about a year ago. I've just completed your bunting and it looks fantastic! It's going up on my little girls 6th birthday! Please please please add more crochet tutorials soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This knitted bunting is so beautiful and really clever!xxx

    Box of Hearts
    www.boxofhearts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted to let you know that this tutorial was featured on my blog today.
    http://lazydaisycrochet.blogspot.com/2012/08/monday-funday.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you very much! I am making a bunting as a stash buster, some have stripes, its so cute! Its for decoration for my daughters 3rd birthday and later to be hung in her room. This is a very clear and helpful tutorial, well done and thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd really love to make this bunting but as I'm new to crochet think it maybe a bit hard .....one day though

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Heather, This is a great tutorial for beginner's! I have shared it with my "Introduction to Crochet" Class and on my facebook business page : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Create-Some-Time/487211574723623. Thank you and I hope it get's you a few more visitors, Claire (Create Some Time)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You say double crochet for this pattern... But you use single crochet to make it... lol Might confuse new beginner crocheters... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I have written the pattern using UK terminology and what we refer to as a double crochet is a single crochet in US terms. I do point that out at the beginning of the pattern. You're right, it is confusing for beginners - why we can't all use the same terminology, I don't know! :-)

      Delete
  25. Great tutorial! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for this easy way to male bunting , I am now going to make loads to hang along the roof edge of my new summerhouse.. It will use up lots of odd balls of wool I have left over..Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just finished bunting for my friends daughter. So easy and loved the simple bead addition. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just finished bunting using this pattern for my friends daughter. So easy and the simple evaded addition really finishes it off. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Anyone ever told you that you're a peach? xx

Followers